Preparing for a Home Inspection
As the homeowner, there are things you can do to prepare for a successful inspection. Ensuring access for the inspection, as well as having systems operable, allows the inspector to be thorough. Consider these actions before an inspector comes to your home.
- Plan to have your house available to the inspector for at least 3 or 4 hours.
- Ensure all utilities are on.
- Turn on pilot lights for gas appliances, including the water heater.
- Secure pets during the inspection.
- Clear access to attic and crawl space.
- Clear at least 6 inches of space around the perimeter of the home exterior.
- Clear at least 3 feet of access to the electrical panel.
- If you have a well or septic tank, leave a sketch to locate them.
- Leave keys for gates, outbuilding and electrical boxes.
- Remove dishes from the sink and dishwasher.
- Replace furnace/AC filter.
- Clean stove and oven.
- Empty storage from the attic.
- Replace light bulbs.